Tuesday 27 August 2013

Tasty meal for pence.............Risotto

Welcome firstly to my new followers. Thank you all for joining. I have found a whole new world recently and that is the world of Risotto ! Previously it never really appealed to me. I'd watch Gordon Ramsey on TV tasting it at the hatch then rejecting it and I never thought much of it. It always looked like rice pudding which I don't like. Then recently I had it for a starter when I had a restaurant meal. It was delicious but even then it wasn't something I thought of doing myself. That was until my husband came home with a reduced box of 'Riso Gallo' for 50p from our local store. It sat in the cupboard for a few weeks until I bit the bullet and decided to try it out. I used half a box , an onion, some mushrooms, a chicken stock cube and some grated cheese. It was delicious and a great way to have a meat free meal that was relatively quick and easy and the whole family enjoyed. We have been thinking about when to make our next one and what to include. I imagine that any odd bits and pieces could be thrown in. We bought our first box reduced but I have seen online that I can get a pack for about £1 full price so even then it wouldn't break the bank and still come in as a cheap meal. Do you have Risotto ? If so what ingredients do you use ?

5 comments:

  1. I just buy the rice, fry in oil till you hear it pop a bit. Add onion, garlic and chicken stock. I add it all in one go. The I add frozen peas and smoked haddock chopped up, topped with a poached egg.Superb. A glug of white wine is also good. Otherwise cheese, chicken, pesto, mushroom, loads of options. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I am feeling like I want to have a go!

    Never been brave enough to use it at home.

    In restaurants I have chosen it and enjoyed it very much!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, its so quick and tasty :-)

      Delete
  3. Risotto is one of the budget meals that sounds fancier than it is, and yes, it's great for leftover meat and veg. If I have any risotto leftover the next day, I shape them into patties and fry them in a little oil.

    ReplyDelete