Thursday 30 May 2013

Cobblers

Good afternoon Bloggers. Today I have been to the Cobblers, for those readers who may not be familiar with the term it is a person who repairs shoes. I have always used their services and when I was a young child one of my jobs was to take our shoes down the road to the local cobbler to get them re heeled. I think their services are more popular in this age of making do and mend. One of my colleagues has a grand daughter who each time the heel wears down she throws the shoes away, even if the shoe itself is perfectly OK. Imagine throwing away decent shoes like that, it must cost a fortune to replace them. I have taken my boots in to be resoled and re heeled. It is so much cheaper than keep buying new and if you are like me, it can be hard to find comfy shoes. My boots will be ready to collect on Saturday and then I will have at least six months wear before I have to take them in again.

6 comments:

  1. I use the cobblers' too. I had a pair of KL's loafers reheeled a few weeks ago. It cost £10, and she'll get lots more wear out of them before they need doing again. They were expensive shoes, she loves them and they're comfy, so definitely worth having mended. I can't imagine throwing shoes away because the heels have worn down - that's absolute madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use the chap in the Quasar centre? He's brilliant and dead cheap! I'm off to collect a 1970s sandal I ripped on a drunken night out later. I took 8 of my blogging friends in there last year and he's still talking about it now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do but on this occasion I used the one in Bloxwich as I was in that neck of the woods. Are you at the canal festival this year , I am :-)

      Delete
  3. Do you use an independent cobblers, or is it Timpsons?

    The last time I bought the teenager a new pair of shoes, I investigated getting the re-soled and heeled. I cannot remember the exact figure now, but I remember at the time being shocked at how expensive it was. It might have been around the £25 mark.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use independent and it is a bit more expensive on this occasion due to style of sole but its a lot cheaper than me replacing the boots ( plus the boots are like a second skin and I can walk miles in them )

      Delete