Thursday 21 March 2013

Budget Stories

Good afternoon bloggers and thank you to those who left me kind messages yesterday, they are very much appreciated.
I have been reading details about the Budget in the newspapers. Its just the same old stuff really that you can have no control over. What interests me are the stories that follow in the days after where people tell their stories about how the Budget will affect them. There is a story today about a couple who earn over £90k p/a and they talk about being worried about childcare and money. Is it me or what ?? Are these people indicative of everyday families ? In my experience they are not. Our family income , which is joint, comes nowhere near £40k however people band these figures of £40k, £50k, £60k etc around like they are insignificant amounts. I find it hard to be sympathetic towards these high earners when there are thousands of low income families genuinely struggling for the necessities in life rather than the niceties in life. What do you think ?

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm the wrong person to comment! J's earnings after tax, national insurance and his pension contribution have been deducted are 13k per annum. I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are ' struggling' on 90k any more than I have sympathy for people who ' can't afford to put the heating on' but are overpaying their mortgage each year by an amount greater than my annual income - quite frankly I can't take them seriously. I live it each day because I have to not because it's a game with a nice prize at the end of it. Life hasn't dealt me a very good hand, but I play it the best way that I can. Currently we get child benefit and tax credits, but those will stop at the end of August when KL is 18, then life on 13k will be a grim reality, that I'm preparing for by spending less per month on shopping than the people 'struggling on 90k' probably spend in a week. These people don't live in the real world any more than the Cabinet of Eton educated millionaires supposedly ' in charge' of this country do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. How much money must they be wasting to be 'struggling'?

    Good to see you back at your blogging best.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gets me is that you never hear or see a politician struggling - they make the cuts, hand out the pain but never seem to feel it themselves - a case of well I'm ok Jack
    After 23 years of full time working I finally made it to the 'national average' wage for the last 12 months but even that is due to come to an end - my wages are to be cut next month due to the recent job evaluation so back to below 'the national average pay'- just can't win !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can win Trudie , just when you think you are progressing in life something seems to change. xx

      Delete
  4. I agree with Scarlett about people who say they cannot afford to put the heating on, but are overpaying their mortgage. There is one very vocal blogger I read that says just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Green Flag, thanks for your comment. I have read similar things myself and agree with Scarlett too.

      Delete