Monday 7 January 2013

My own little food store

Hi Bloggers. Firstly a big hello and welcome to two new followers 'sarahfoxx and claireevanscritten', thank you both very much for joining.

When we moved house we were fortunate enough to get a garage. Never having had a garage before we were delighted with this as it gave us lots more storage. We acquired some shelving and over the weekend my husband has built it and we now have our very own food store. No its not huge and really I suppose its like having a pantry/larder but we have all our stuff sorted and organised, easily viewable and accessible. We have dry goods on the top two shelves, tins on the next two shelves, then veg on its own shelf, then cleaning goods and bottles on the bottom shelf. I can now see at a quick glance what I have and also what I need to replenish. The largest item we have in stock is 28 tins of tomatoes but these will be used as they are a staple item in our cupboard. I like being able to have the space to store stuff, with prices increases or the possibility of inclement weather its good to have things to hand. It has also freed up space in my kitchen as I had things on top of my cupboards, whereas now it looks clean and uncluttered.

12 comments:

  1. It's great to have the room for a food store. Garages rearly get used for cars these days so it makes sense to use them for storage. Made me laugh your stock of 28 tins of tomatoes. You can never have enough tomatoes lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I should count up everything else, I have multiples of other stuff but tomatoes are in the lead at present x

      Delete
  2. I use the attic room as my overflow store. I took a carrier bag up there yesterday and came down with coffee, tinned tomatoes, tinned chickpeas, curry powder,baked beans, deodorant and loo-roll. A bag full of 'shopping' and I didn't even need to leave the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great to wander around the house gathering your ingredients is'nt it !

      Delete
  3. A woman after my own heart....I saw some shelves in the Aldi mag and I'm tempted to buy it! I have started 'stockpiling' staples when they are on offer for all the same reasons as you....I currently have 15 x 4 pack of beans so that's 60 tins of baked beans(blazing saddles comes to mind!!) but as there are 5 of us we will get through them quite quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cllr Nat , thanks for your comment. I may have to look at the ALdi mag as my husband would like more shelves !

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of your larder MPB! 28 tins of tomatoes, excellent stockpiling.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can never have enough, you never know when an emergency bolognese may take place !

      Delete
  5. We eat loads of tinned tomatoes too. In fact it is part of DH's new year diet - tinned tomatoes and a poached egg!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange as it sounds I cant eat tomatoes like that, I have them blended and then added to sauces so they are smooth. I can't handle them all lumpy, I know it tastes the same but its one of my little quirks

      Delete
  6. I don't know why I have not found this blog sooner. I wish I had a garage. Be careful of mice getting into things in the garage. Anything in bags, boxes, or plastic is food for them. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,I'm glad you have found me ! Thanks do call again xx

      Delete