Thursday 22 March 2012

Trying to stay frugal

I am still trying to keep on the financial straight and level but I have strayed recently and been out spending money. Not particularly big money but nevertheless money we could have saved. The main area of weakness was eating out, 2 meals out but sometimes I think you do deserve a treat. On the positive side I have still got some bargains. From the church sale in the last few days I got a few books that my daughter wanted 30p each. One was a ' Horrible Science' book that she hasn't put down since. The books from the church are always in such good condition, it is as if they have been read once then donated. We went into a charity shop recently and my daughter spotted one of the Harry Potter books she would like. Quite well read and battered , the book was marked up at £3.99. We didn't buy it. I felt it was overpriced for a second hand book, which is a shame because they are donated and I think the shop is pricing things too high. Also from the church I picked up 4 DVDs, quite recent films ; Crazy Stupid Love, Unstoppable, Expendables and the Adjustment Bureau. These again were priced at 30p each so an excellent buy and good for movie nights. Have you picked up any bargains lately ?

4 comments:

  1. That book was definitely overpriced at £3.99! I found some nice fabric at 10p and 20p per piece on Monday morning's trawl of the charity shops, and some other sewing bits - braid and pretty glass beads. I bought loads and it only came to £2.As it's a lovely day I might go for a wander around some charity shops in a different area which is still quite local to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a lovely day here too but I have been home washing and ironing. Two lines full today but good to catch up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Mary Bailey. I'm blogging at a new blog now, using my real name. Hope you'll stop by and visit me there!

    I didn't really get a bargain today because I was shopping at an expensive sporting goods store. My son requested a certain kind of shirt for his gym class. He doesn't ask for things often, so I know when he does, it is important to him. I picked out four shirts, which would have been $105, but the salesclerk pointed out a rack of shirts on sale that I hadn't seen and I traded out two of the shirts for sale prices. So I only spent $80 instead. And I got his gym shorts for cheap at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so delighted by saving a £1 off (if I bought two) voucher for my favourite crisps: Walkers Sensations. But they are usually £1.99 to £2.04 a bag. Far too extravagant. Then they went on sale for 99p a bag at Tesco. I used my voucher and got two bags for a measly 98p. I honestly think they tasted better too! ;-) I'm all for saving and using vouchers now. Have you seen the American show Extreme couponing? Madness. I want to be one of these people (sort of).

    ReplyDelete