Friday 28 October 2011

Making My Own - Fruit Cake

Yesterday I had a go at baking my own fruit cake. I don't like fruit cake but hubby does so I thought I'd give it a try. I soaked the fruit in some alcohol overnight, a bit of port I had left in a bottle. I found a recipe on the Internet and I had enough to make two cakes. The one baked in the loaf tin looks best. Hubby said it tasted good but I found that the fruit had sunk to the bottom of the cake. Someone told me yesterday that I should have put the fruit in a bag with flour, given it a good shake , and that stops the fruit sinking ?? I will give that a try next time. I am going to make something I like next, lemon madeira cake. This sells in the local bakery at £1.85 per cake. A quick calculation costed my cakes at £1 each but that included the fruit, a lemon cake would be even cheaper.

6 comments:

  1. Yum!

    I've never made a fruit cake - but I have read in recipe books (plenty of those here) that you need to shake the fruit in flour 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the BeRo boil'n'bake recipe - its foolproof!
    http://angalmond.blogspot.com/2010/05/let-them-eat-cake.html

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Piggy Bank! Delia's Sultana Loaf Cake is a lovely fruit cake recipe, and it's really easy to make. The fruit doesn't sink with that recipe either! Maybe you'll find it on her website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for your fruity advice !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course home baking tastes so much better than shop bought.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete